Global Alliance for Human Caring Education
The Global Alliance for Human Caring Education (GAHCE) was launched in May 2017 as a virtual network to provide support to colleagues throughout the world who are interested in developing education courses or programs based in Caring Science. It was envisioned as a grassroots organization that would develop organically as opportunities arose.
GAHCE is a trilingual (English, French & Spanish) organization that is dedicated to promoting and supporting Human Caring education especially, but not exclusively, in Nursing. For too long, nursing has struggled to stand in its own disciplinary domain, embracing caring as the theoretical, ethical, and philosophical foundation of its discipline. GAHCE’s initial goal was to provide virtual support to individuals who are creating Human Caring/Caring Science courses and programs. We have since expanded our mandate to also provide other educational opportunities such as conferences, workshops, consultations, mentorships, and postdoctoral studies.
In October 2018, the Global Alliance for Human Caring Education was incorporated (federally, in Canada) as a not-for-profit organization. We made this decision largely in order to capture an opportunity to host, in partnership with the Watson Caring Science Institute (WCSI), the 6th Global Human Caring Conference in Canada for the first time.
According to its constitution…
- The purpose of the Global Alliance for Human Caring Education is to advance education, particularly education of nurses and other health professionals, for the benefit of students, teachers, and mentors as well as for the benefit of the general public through the advancement of professional human caring practice.
- The Global Alliance for Human Caring Education will achieve its purpose by:
- building and operating an independent, global, professional network of people and institutions to encourage the exchange of ideas, knowledge, know-how, and experiences related to human caring education and practice;
- providing meetings and other opportunities for people and institutions to confer about relevant matters related to human caring education and practice;
- the development of relevant collaborative human caring projects at global, national, regional and local levels;
- leading the development of expertise in human caring education through collaboration, consultation and partnerships;
- providing publicly available scholarships, bursaries, and other forms of financial assistance to students of nursing and other health professions to be used for post-secondary education, conferences, or professional continuing education in human caring; and
- providing awards to students of nursing and other health professions to encourage academic excellence and scholarship in human caring education.
Board Members and Officers
- Marcia Hills, RN, PhD, FAAN, University of Victoria - President
- Chantal Cara, RN, PhD, FAAN, Universite de Montreal - Vice President (French)
- Eugenia Del Carmen Urra Medina, RN, PhD, Universidad de La Serena (Chile) - Vice President (Spanish)
- John Hills, B.Eng, LLB (retired) - Secretary
- Simon Carroll, PhD, University of Victoria - Treasurer